Being New Yorkers, we jumped at the chance for a family getaway to Los Angeles and the West Coast—specifically, a luxe stopover at Beverly Wilshire, Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel). Our son was filming his first TV show appearance on Nick Jr. cable network’s “Yo Gabba Gabba!” So we decided to add some fun, family vacation time, plus mom and dad R&R, to the package. Here’s our intel…
1. Get Cozy and Get Pampered – The Beverly Wilshire is one of the nicest hotels on the planet, so allow plenty of in-room time to savor it (the glam, Mediterranean-style outdoor pool; Wolfgang Puck’s take on the American steakhouse, CUT restaurant; even an etiquette class for kids. The 395-room property also has a world-class spa—just to-die-for for any mom. And the VIP treatment extends to the kids as well, who will feel like kings of the castle.
2. Go Shopping – The hotel is located at the base of world-famous Rodeo Drive and right next door to places like Niketown and Saks Fifth Avenue. This means the kids can find some cool gear, and mom can hunt for a new purse. Also, it’s just a few minutes drive from the Westfield Century City, which has great shopping for kids and a play zone—plus, fantastic places to eat (which brings us to No. 3).
3. Eat, EAT, EAT – It’s not a vacation till you stuffed yourself silly on local treats and eats… This trip was no exception, since the hotel is within walking distance to Sprinkles Cupcakes, the “world’s first cupcake bakery” and pioneer of the haute cupcake craze. Plus, back at Century City, there are places like Pink Taco—all very kid-friendly.
4. Grab Your Mouse Ears – I’m going to Disneyland! How many times have we all said that? But with the drive from the Beverly Wilshire to the Happiest Place on Earth just under an hour, it’s time to wake up early one morning and hit the road—‘cause you really should take your family to Disneyland. At least once.
5. Enjoy the View – Depending on your hotel room location, you might enjoy a royal vista of downtown LA like we did or an amazing sunset view. Order a bottle of California cabernet sauvignon from Room Service, add a truffle (or caramel) popcorn bowl or Spicy ahi tuna crudo, and watch the sun melt over the City of Angels while the kids take in a movie or make a play fort out of sofa cushions.
6. Be The Tourist – Santa Monica Pier is one of the area’s best-known attractions. You just can’t visit and not hit a few of the top tourist spots—and create life-long memories along the way. Getting up-close and personal with the giant Hollywood sign? Yes! Don’t miss it.
7. See the Stars – Wait, was that Ryan Gosling by the pool? You’re in Hollywood, or just about, so take the kids out for lunch and star spotting at The Ivy and other celeb hang outs. (Ask the concierge for hot spot tips.)
8. Become a Star – It can happen. Our child was asked to be filmed on an upcoming episode of “Yo Gabba Gabba!” Research options in advance. At the very least, it’s a great place to keep that dream alive.
9. Get a Sitter – The Beverly Wilshire has babysitting services. Even on a family trip, it’s always amazing to carve out a little date night for mom and dad alone time.
10. Slow Down – Take 10—or take a half-day. Stroll the neighborhood. Lounge at the pool. Sample the hotel’s fine dining. After the kids are secured with the sitter, go for drinks at the lobby bar called Sidebar, which makes a superb mojito.
Read more about Beverly Hills/Los Angeles in Four Seasons Magazine.
Adam Cohen, founder of Dadarocks.com is a New York City-based daddy blogger. While enjoying the company of his wife and toddler son, he manages to be the Director of Web Services in Higher Education and a social media entrepreneur. Adam has extensive technology and communications experience with non-profit organizations, as well as a New Media Design and Imaging degree from Rochester Institute of Technology. His ability to leverage the Internet to create synergies among his blog visitors stems from his passion for fatherhood, social media and sharing.
View all posts from Adam
Read more about amman, Atlanta, austin, Bali, baltimore, bangkok, beaches, beijing, beirut, Beverly Hills, beverly wilshire, bora bora, Boston, Brooke Vosika, Budapest, buenos aires, cairo, canary wharf, chaing mai, Chiang Mai, chicago, china, city breaks, costa rica, denver, destination tips, Disney World, doha, dublin, egypt, family travel, firenze, Florence, food, Four Seasons, Four Seasons Lisbon, Four Seasons Maldives Landaa Giraavara, four seasons westlake village, geneva, golden triangle, halloween, hampshire, hangzhou, hawaii, hong kong, houston, hualalai, istanbul, jackson hole, jakarta, japan, Jimbaran Bay, Kids For All Seasons, Koh Samui, Lāna’i, langkawi, las vegas, london, los angeles, maldives, Marrakech, Marunouchi, maui, mauritius, mauritus, Mexico, miami, milan, mumbai, nevis, new york city, olympics, orlando, palm beach, palo alto, paris, park lane, philadelphia, philanthropy, photography, prague, punta mita, ramadan, recipes, resort escapes, restaurants, road trips, rosh hashanah, san diego, san francisco, santa barbara, santa fe, scottsdale, Seattle, serengeti, shanghai, South America, special days, st. louis, sydney, teen tweens, thailand, tokyo, toronto, travel tips, Vail, vancouver, washington, Whistler