“An Iftar buffet needs to capture the true essence of Ramadan through both superior cuisine and ambience.”
8 whole pigeons
4 cups jasmine rice, half-cooked
¾ pound minced beef, half-cooked
1/3 cup pine nuts
24 cherry tomatoes
4 lemons, sliced in half and grilled, cut side down
1/3 cup watercress
1. Prepare the jasmine rice according to the package directions, but for only half of the suggested cooking time. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Once cooled, mix the jasmine rice with the minced beef and pine nuts.
2. Stuff the pigeons with the jasmine rice mixture.
3. Cover the pigeons in aluminum foil and place in a pot of boiling water for 30 minutes.
4. Remove the pigeons from the water and transfer to the oven at preheated to 350 degrees. Roast for five minutes until crispy and golden.
5. Place the pigeons on a colourful serving platter. Garnish with grilled lemons, cherry tomatoes and watercress. Serves four.
Stay tuned next week for more Middle Eastern recipes from our chefs!
With more than 15 years experience, Chef Ahmed Darwish oversees Zitouni’s kitchen at Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at Nile Plaza. He ensures true authenticity in the preparation of a wide variety of popular Egyptian specialties: stuffed vine leaves with grilled lamb chops, moloukheyah with chicken, fish sayadeyah, stuffed pigeon, lamb and beef kebabs. Chef Ahmed joined Four Seasons in 2000 with the opening of the hotel’s sister property at The First Residence in Cairo before moving to Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at Nile Plaza.
View all posts from Chef Ahmed
Read more about amman, Atlanta, austin, Bali, baltimore, bangkok, beaches, beijing, beirut, Beverly Hills, beverly wilshire, bora bora, Boston, Brooke Vosika, Budapest, buenos aires, cairo, canary wharf, chaing mai, Chiang Mai, chicago, china, city breaks, costa rica, denver, destination tips, Disney World, doha, dublin, egypt, family travel, firenze, Florence, food, Four Seasons, Four Seasons Lisbon, Four Seasons Maldives Landaa Giraavara, four seasons westlake village, geneva, golden triangle, halloween, hampshire, hangzhou, hawaii, hong kong, houston, hualalai, istanbul, jackson hole, jakarta, japan, Jimbaran Bay, Kids For All Seasons, Koh Samui, Lāna’i, langkawi, las vegas, london, los angeles, maldives, Marrakech, Marunouchi, maui, mauritius, mauritus, Mexico, miami, milan, mumbai, nevis, new york city, olympics, orlando, palm beach, palo alto, paris, park lane, philadelphia, philanthropy, photography, prague, punta mita, ramadan, recipes, resort escapes, restaurants, road trips, rosh hashanah, san diego, san francisco, santa barbara, santa fe, scottsdale, Seattle, serengeti, shanghai, South America, special days, st. louis, sydney, teen tweens, thailand, tokyo, toronto, travel tips, Vail, vancouver, washington, Whistler