Sand, sea and sun in a lush, tropical paradise—that’s Punta Mita, Mexico, set on the enormous Bay of Banderas (the second-largest in North America after Canada’s Hudson Bay). While not too far from glitzy Puerto Vallarta, the area surrounding the enclave of Four Seasons Resort Punta Mita, México is still largely undeveloped.
And the natural beauty is breathtaking. The place feels magical, even spiritual. Picture yourself greeting the day with yoga on a rock overlooking the ocean. Then, it’s off for a day of sports and water fun with the family.
1. Whale watching – Take the kids on a motorboat group tour in search of migrating humpback whales; December to March. (Swimming with dolphins is also on offer.) Or charter the Four Seasons yacht and add in private snorkeling at Marietas Island: exclusive and chic.
2. Snorkelling – Try snorkeling in the warm water off the beach or down the coast. Glide by schools of colourful fish, dolphins, turtles, lobsters and manta rays. Swim into lava rock caves and coves. Pack your underwater camera!
3. Learn something new – Sign up for a family lesson and learn together: horseback riding, stand-up paddling, fishing. The resort offers complimentary Spanish lessons. Ask the concierge for suggestions.
4. Star gazing – Join the resort’s cultural concierge, Enrique, for star gazing to learn about the constellations and local lore.
5. Kids’ club – The resort’s colourful Kids For All Seasons* club is a big highlight for parents and kids. To-dos include traditional Mexican crafts, such as decorating a clay piñata or sombrero, and ceramics; plus, making a tie-dye shirt, friendship bracelet and Hawaiian necklace. Also: nature walks, beach crab hunts, sports and pool time; there’s a great outdoor playground. And for a break from the sun: lunch and a movie. Along with a comfy sitting area, there’s a big treehouse in the middle of the playroom for kids to run and hide in.
Kids For All Seasons (KFAS) is a Four Seasons complimentary recreational and educational program for children of resort guests. Most KFAS clubs are designed for youth four to 12 years old, and open daily from 9 to 5. (Younger children can often join KFAS with a nanny or parent, or resorts can arrange for babysitting.) But details vary from property to property, so check the resort’s website for more information.
Kids can go all day or just for an hour or two. Activities inside and out include games, sports, music, treasure hunts, swimming, arts and crafts, cultural education, environmental preservation work and yoga. Not your average camp, the VIP offerings are pretty extraordinary—for example, at Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora, kids can help the resort’s marine biologist graft coral in the lagoon sanctuary.
Melanie North is a marketing consultant and currently works at Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts, Corporate Marketing in Toronto, Canada. She shares her passion for travel with her husband, and her daughter who started trotting the globe at age nine months. You can find Melanie at her local Patisserie or on Twitter @melanienorthnow.
View all posts from Melanie
Read more about amman, Atlanta, austin, Bali, Bali at Sayan, baltimore, bangkok, beaches, beijing, beirut, Beverly Hills, beverly wilshire, bora bora, Boston, Brooke Vosika, Budapest, buenos aires, cairo, canary wharf, carmelo, chaing mai, Chiang Mai, chicago, china, city breaks, costa rica, dallas, denver, destination tips, Disney World, doha, dublin, egypt, family travel, firenze, Florence, food, Four Seasons, Four Seasons Lisbon, Four Seasons Maldives Landaa Giraavara, four seasons westlake village, geneva, golden triangle, halloween, hampshire, hangzhou, hawaii, hong kong, houston, hualalai, istanbul, jackson hole, jakarta, japan, Jimbaran Bay, Kids For All Seasons, Koh Samui, Lāna’i, langkawi, las vegas, london, los angeles, Macau, maldives, Marrakech, Marunouchi, maui, mauritius, mauritus, Mexico, miami, milan, mumbai, nevis, new york, new york city, olympics, orlando, palm beach, palo alto, paris, park lane, philadelphia, philanthropy, photography, prague, punta mita, ramadan, recipes, resort escapes, restaurants, road trips, rosh hashanah, san diego, san francisco, santa barbara, santa fe, scottsdale, Seattle, serengeti, shanghai, sharm el sheikh, singapore, South America, special days, st. louis, sydney, teen tweens, thailand, tokyo, toronto, travel tips, Vail, vancouver, washington, Whistler
Lounging at a Four Seasons with the kids now or just back from your vacation? Share your memories with us.SUBMIT YOUR IMAGES